Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Saturday 30 August 2014

Whitewater kayaking

Today, I did the first day of a two day whitewater kayak beginner's course. It was an itense day!

After kitting up and learning a bit about the boats, we had to practice getting in and out of them on land. Sounds like a silly exercise, but I assure you that it was necessary! I didn't even think I could fit inside my kayak at first. My knees just wouldn't go inside! But after a wriggle around, I got myself squished in. Even the thought of tipping upside down in that thing made the panic rise in my chest. I have two fears - claustrophobia, and a fear of being under water. So being trapped upside down in a kayak is not an appealing prospect! 

Once we could get in and out on land, we had to carry our boats to the water (Christ, that's heavy!) and get in on the lake. The first thing you notice when you push off from the shore is that the boat is very sensitive to your movements. It's not heavy and stable like a sea kayak or a canoe, it rocks easily and turns left and right of its own accord constantly! 

The first drill of the day was "wet exits" - tipping the boat and getting out whilst it's upside down. Great. They did the demo then everyone took their turn with an instructor. I went last. Emily talked me through it and I felt the fear start to take hold and spill over as tears. I pulled off my spray skirt above water, took a few deep breaths, flipped and popped up next to my boat. Phew! Empty the kayak, get back in and do it again, this time with the skirt on but holding onto the release handle. Flip, pull, pop, and up for air. The last time, I wanted to do it properly. Flip over, tap the hull three times, find the release handle, pull and then pop up. I felt surprisingly calm under the water when I talked myself into it and did the drill, feeling quite proud.

Worst part over, I happily learned a few strokes and we spent the morning going in circles (intentionally and unintentionally) on the lake. 

In the afternoon we were out on the river, paddling from one eddy to the one on the other side and back, over and over, each time learning something about the water or our own abilities. By the end of the day, we jumped a 4ft drop into the water in the boats and did a short section of rapids! Such a cool day! And damn, this means I'm going to have to buy a kayak.

1 comment: