Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Monday 31 March 2014

WWOOF

My first two weeks in Canada are being spent volunteering on an organic family farm an hour out of Halidax.  WWOOF stands for World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms.

When I arrived, I was greeted by all 7 members of the Cochrane family chatting in the kitchen, offering me freshly fried doughnuts whilst preparing a pork roast, so you'll be surprised to hear there are no complaints so far!

The farm has pigs, chickens, goats, ducks, rabbits and cats (those last two aren't for eating), perhaps 100 animals all together.  There are also 3 greenhouses, a shed full of seedlings and a chicken hatchery.  It is wet and chilly and very very muddy with a hint of slushy snow, but the house is warm and cosy.

I have been helping feed and water the animals, mixing compost and watering seedlings.

Here's one of the more curious pigs.

2 comments:

  1. I love piggies! They are my Chinese birth sign so I've always had an affinity :-)

    ReplyDelete