Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Sunday 6 July 2014

Day 48: First puncture

I still wasn't in the best mood this morning but once I got on the road, I got back into the rhythm of the ride and cheered up.

I met Les who was riding east, having just retired. I chatted to some bikers in a Tim Hortons and skyped Dave.

The wind wasn't as strong today and I was able to ride 15-20kmh all day. It was still insanely hot though and the sun was trying to blister my already sunburned lips. 

I'd ridden a grand total of 4200km when I noticed my back wheel feeling like it was floating. Damn. I pulled over into a dirt road on the outskirts of the town I was approaching, unloaded my bags and turned the bike upside down. The offending article was an industrial staple. That would do it! I've only ever had to change an inner tube once because usually a bloke will pull over and fix it for me when I get a puncture (in spite of my protests, I might add!). And I've never changed one on this bike. But how hard can it be? The mosquitos started to chew on my arms and legs.

I loosened the brake cable to make the quick release accessible, got the wheel off and removed the tyre. The tube wasn't even completely flat as the staple had only just made it through the tyre wall. I checked the tyre for other sharps then went about putting the new tube and the tyre back on, which I did without tyre levers, much to my satisfaction (thanks to Dave for teaching me that). At this point, I heard a car stop behind me and a voice asking if I was alright. I turned around to see a gorgeous young blonde policeman in his cruiser. We talked briefly about my ride and he asked whether I had everything I needed to get back on the road. Yes, it's all fine, thank you. So he moved along.

I put the wheel back on, pumped up the tyre, sorted out the brakes then loaded back up. I was covered in bites by this point and the little buggers drafted along behind me and continued to bite me for the remaining 20km into Lethbridge.

I'm glad that I could confidently sort the flat myself and it added some interest to an otherwise boring prairie ride. Not that I'd want to do it every day! One flat every 4000km is a good frequency. 

In Lethbridge I found a sports bar in a dodgy part of town and chatted to a few people whilst having dinner and sorting accommodation for tonight.

3 comments:

  1. I remember looking at that tyre in London, when it still had some tread on it! I guess 4,200km will do that. Dad x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work Anna! Try not to attract too many gorgeous policemen if you would! I know it's tough X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well obviously he wasn't as good looking as you! But he did have a uniform and a gun...

    ReplyDelete