Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Tuesday 15 July 2014

Day 57: Unfriendly weather

I've had quite a few late nights and early starts and this morning they caught up with me. Last night I'd put my earplugs in around 11.30 to try and drown out the annoying cackling woman outside the trailer next door then I hadn't heard my alarm go off this morning. So I woke up at 7am, annoyed with myself because it was already hot when I set off at 8am.

It was only 20km to Grand Forks so I figured I'd go there for breakfast and make a plan for the day. I slogged up a steep hill and on the other side I got hit with the wind. So my 20km to breakfast took almost two hours, my head delicate with tiredness, eyelids heavy, ears being assaulted by the traffic noise and my whole body complaning about the heat. There were a few grasshoppers on the hard shoulder as usual, some sunning themselves, others crispy dried roadkill. Jump, jump, crunch, crunch. The last 5km into town, there were tons of grasshoppers! They were bouncing off my feet, landing on my legs - and one in my lap - and my tyres were splatted with grasshopper mush. 

I got into Grand Forks tired, hot and hungry so I went for lunch then decided not to go any further today. The town campsite was nice so I pitched up and lay down on the grass but it was too hot to nap.

My neighbour D'arcy Wayne came over for a chat and we ended up mooching around the campsite in the ridiculous heat all day chatting and trying not to burst into flame. It was over 40 degrees today, I'm glad I didn't ride any further! 

I cooked up a veggie stew for Wayne and another camper Morgan who looked like he needed a good meal and it turned out pretty tasty.

So not a very productive day but there was no way I was getting up that mountain today! Here's for an early start tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment