Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Monday 21 July 2014

Day 63: Down the mountain

It was cold this morning but the sun felt warm on my skin as I assembled the rig. I set off in my jacket but a few kilometres of uphill warmed me up.

There were roadworks going on and the traffic had to squeeze past me on the narrow piece of road left, despite the closed off section being void of roadworks and road workers. I got to the top, put my jacket back on and started going down. I pedalled my way down at 30-50kmh, glad of the nice hard shoulder on that section. It was more tiring than I expected rocketing downhill for so long. I was cold and the wind was working away at my eardrums again. I stopped a bit along the way to take pictures and admire wildlife - a vulture and a few white tailed deer. 

Then I saw an uphill ahead and stopped to take my jacket off again. The hard shoulder disappeared, right when I really needed it. I checked my mirror obsessively and kept having to ride the gravel verge to avoid being minced by trucks and RVs. 

Up and down I went for a few hours, getting pissed off with the crappy road surface and high volume of traffic. I stopped at the side of the road for a sandwich and carried on, not feeling much better for having stopped. Uphill, into the stupid eternal headwind! Then I saw a sign for a cafe but it turned out to be a little shop that had a coffee machine and I had a grumpy chat with the girl working there. I didn't want to go uphill any more, or have the wind roaring in my ears, or have to deal with the noisy scary traffic. She was all chipper "At least it's all downhill from here!" No it bloody isn't. 

A few long, noisy kilometres later and it was all downhill from there and I'm sorry to say that I didn't make the most of the decent. I'd had enough and was glad to be in Hope.

Tonight I'm staying with Caleb and Martha, friends of my great Aunt. They're looking after me well and I'm glad to have a bed to rest my achy body on.

I wish I was enjoying the last few days more but I'm so tired of riding. Should have had a rest day in Osoyoos I think! Ah well, Vancouver here I come, just two days to go.

7 comments:

  1. Well, the hills are all over now, Anna! You're now at a mere 42 metres ASL, so say sayonara to narrow mountain roads and brutally long climbs. �� A good night's rest and you'll feel good as new.
    Cheers! Kevin and Gay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you've had enough! You've been riding for months and YOU ARE ALMOST THERE!! It's your birthday on Wednesday and perhaps you may finish the cycle on that special day. But remember that the next day would be fine too, especially if you have rested better and then the smile at the end would be even bigger. As will be the smile at the weekend when Dave arrives (and a few tears I suspect). Lots of Love from Mum xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you are almost there, I have really enjoyed reading this and have been impressed that you have found the time and energy to keep it up throughout.
    Hope the last couple of days go really well.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. The end is in sight. What a journey and adventure. Thanks for taking us along. Huge Hugs Buffie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nearly there! Your spirit and determination is inspiration to us all. Savour the last moments, stop, pause and remember how far you have come mentally and physically.Before you know it you will be in the arms of Dave, resting the muscles and all will be well. Love Tracy, Glen , Isabella and Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant Anna, keep going, you're almost there. Can't wait to read your entry after you arrive.

    ReplyDelete