Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Saturday 19 July 2014

Day 61: Tired legs

I went to bed early and got up late. After a trip to the breakfast diner, supermarket and fruit stand, I was leaving town around 9.30.

It was calm on the high steeet - I thought maybe the wind had died down and I'd have an easier ride today. Then I rode out of town and heard the metal sign at the top of the first rise creaking on its metal hinge and realised that wouldn't be the case.

Every kilometre was hard work today and I didn't think I'd manage 10, let alone 70. The little hills rolled up and down, the wind pushing against me, the lactic acid burning in my thighs. At least it was overcast. Happy clouds.

I rode an immensely slow 35km along the highway to Doug's meat shop that Mitch said I should go to. There was a huge queue but it was worth it! I've never tasted delicious jerky until today. Hmm.

Then I took a side road also recommended by Mitch. I knew it would be hillier but it was great to get off the highway. It was a beautiful road along the river. But I had to stop on most of the hills to rest my legs and wonder what's wrong with them today. I was looking for a suitable lunch stop for a while, my legs and stomach getting more and more desperate for a break when I noticed a stretch of river with nice sitting rocks and somewhere to rest my bike, so I pulled over. I got out my food and walked to the rocks, ahh a seat with a view! No sooner had my bum touched the rock when it started to rain. Screw you, weather. I packed up and carried on. Sorry legs! 

When it met with the highway just out of town, I avoided a big junction by taking a paved path marked Trans Canada Trail - been a while since I saw one of those! It took me over a lovely old railway bridge into Princeton and I was finally done for the day, 8 hours after setting off. Ugh.

I could do with a day off but I'm nearly there! When did I last have a day off? Saskatchewan?

2 comments:

  1. You give those legs a good talking to, Anna. Glad to hear that you made it to Princeton! Rest up and be well.
    Cheers,
    Kevin and Gay
    ps: drop us a line at ramriver@gmail.com, OK? We've got a few pics that we'd like to email you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Anna - nearly there!

    ReplyDelete