Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Thursday 10 July 2014

Day 52: So hot!

This morning I dragged myself out of bed to wave goodbye to the two Johns at 7am. It was so nice to ride with them (okay, draft behind them) yesterday afternoon. Then I had pancakes with Bettina, Randy and Stuart. Randy is one of two volunteer web developers for warmshowers.org! They are all staying another day in Fernie to go hiking and I was so tempted to join, but I don't want to stress about getting to Vancouver in time to meet Dave, so they waved me off.

It was downhill with a gentle headwind all the way to Elko, where I stopped for a milkshake in the shade - ahh. I found out that it has been 34-38 degrees every day the last week. No wonder I've been complaining about the weather! Riding under the sun on the baking asphalt all day is hard work, regardless of incline.

Out of Elko, the gradual downhill became flatter still and the headwind had me working. Nasty flashbacks to the prairies were short-lived however - I saw a huge bear run across the road just ahead of me! He had a jet black coat, thick and glossy, I couldn't say what type of bear he was, black bears, brown bears and grizzlies can all be black or brown. He was so fast! And he left wet footprints across the road. How nice it would be to go for a swim!

The views were spectacular as always. I was riding in the valley with the mountains towering all around. Some peaks thick with forest, others too steep or their peaks too high for trees to grow. A few times I stopped at the side of the road or at rest stops to take pictures, have some water, fruit and a rest. At one mercilessly shadeless roadside pull-in, I burned my fingers opening the metal bin! Best to keep riding and get the hot breeze going by at least...

I rode the rest of the way into the valley then up the other side in the full heat of the afternoon to Cranbrook, clocking 100km for the day. I had a nap this evening before dinner so hopefully I can actually get that early start tomorrow that I've been hankering after.

5 comments:

  1. That was not a bear it was Baggy looking after you for all the good turns you did him Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only 841km to go, according to Google! At this rate you can totally do that in eight and a half days. When's Dave arrive? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anna,
    I am the older cyclist you met just outside Sault St. Marie, telling me that I have a steep uphill ahead of my getting into Sault.
    You made good progress with your tour and judging by the pages of your blog I have read, you still enjoy the trip.
    I finished my cross-Canada tour on Friday, July 4 when I flew back from St.John's, Newfoundland to Edmonton, Alberta. I enjoyed my tour as well. I had no major problems, except for a broken back wheel I had to replace.
    You are in the final phase of your tour. Only a few more hills and passes to go up and down and then you are in Vancouver.
    All the best for the remainder of your tour and don't worry about the Grizzly Bears in the mountains. They are few and far between.
    All the best
    Werner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I think Baggy would have enjoyed coming back as a bear - he'd be the boss of the forest and he'd get to sleep all winter!

    Dave arrives 26th so I have plenty of time actually, might have a day off and go hiking or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear from you Werner! Glad you made it and enjoyed the journey. How on earth did you break a back wheel?!

    ReplyDelete