Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Monday 21 April 2014

The Gravels

This morning, Jo and I took the borrowed snow shoes to a friend of Bettina's in Corner Brook. Then we drove to the bus stop and said our goodbyes. I can't believe it! We had 4 full days in the end because of Jo's flight and bus schedule but she has another day to explore St John's before heading home - have fun Jo! I'm so pleased you came. We had a great time and it was awesome to share those initial fears of the unknown with someone.

I drove to Stephenville this afternoon in the hope of a motel I could use as a base for tomorrow's exploring. Alas, all the motels in the area were booked out because of hockey games! So I called a place in Port aux Basques and made a booking.

Not wanting to have made an unnecessary detour to Stephenville, I took a recommendation from a lady at a hotel front desk and went to The Gravels for a walk.

The coastal walk through the forest and around the lovely little bays was stunning! The fault lines in the cliffs are at odd angles, making it look like the land was sinking into the sea. The forest was less dense than those we'd been walking in the last few days, and it was littered with curious rounded boulders. 

2 comments:

  1. Great blog Anna!
    Apologies for the anorack-type of comment but edit is required. Those aren't fault lines - they look like bedding planes to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha good to know, thanks! Geology was never my strong point but always happy to learn.

    ReplyDelete