Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Thursday 24 April 2014

Wildlife in Cape Breton National Park

This morning, I packed my kit and headed for one of the walking trails in the park. I got out the car, headed down the snowy trail and about 50ft along, was confronted with a sign that said "Coyote Habitat" and informed me that in order to stay safe, I should hike with friends and a sturdy walking stick. Not having either of those things on me, I wimped out and went to see the Parks Authority for advice.

The nice lady at the office gave me some booklets and advice about the wild animals and recommended a walk. She didn't seem to think I was crazy for heading out alone, so off I went.

I drove off the highway down a lane towards a car park and saw two moose! So awesome! They were just hanging out by the lane, munching away. I drove past and got out to take a picture but I could tell I was disturbing them so I let them be.

I strolled up to the start of the walk that I'd be recommended and another coyote warning sign knocked my bravado. Not to be deterred, I fashioned a coyote beating stick out of a sturdy dead branch and went on my way. It was about a 5km walk through the snow, along a path in the woods with the sound of the crashing waves on either side.

It would have been beautiful if I hadn't been shit scared. I was singing made up songs to myself the whole way, warning the coyotes through the tune of 'lord of the dance' that I'd smash their heads in if they tried to eat me. Every time I sank a leg up to my crotch in snow and had to ungracefully haul it out again, I would look around to check that there were no coyotes observing this potentially easy prey.

A russle in the undergrowth had my heart pumping harder still and I saw a partridge under a tree, which was lovely.

Alas, I made it back unscathed although very tired and sweaty! 

No comments:

Post a Comment