Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Saturday 7 June 2014

Day 34: Stealth camp

We had a great time last night, sitting around a bonfire in a garden with people playing guitar, harmonica, mandolin and drums. We heard improvised blues and folk songs and even a poetry recital, it was a beautiful evening.

We got to bed around 1.30am and woke up with fuzzy heads to prepare for our ride.

Tonight, I'm stealth camping with Simon and Bettina, their usual sleeping arrangement. I've been too scared to do it on my own but it should be fun together. Just hope the forecast for rain is wrong...

So no wifi tonight, but I will update today's post when I can.

[Cont.]

The rain came down steadily all morning and we were tired so we took our time over breakfast and got on the road just after 11am. We rode in the rain to Kakabeka Falls for lunch. The falls were an awesome display of raw power, the torrent of coffee coloured water pouring over the edge into a cloud of mist below. 

By the time we left, the rain had cleared and it was well into the afternoon. We were struggling with the hills, having not slept very long the night before so with 50km under our belts, we knocked on a farmhouse door to ask if we could camp on their land. "Yes of course, another cyclist stayed last night actually." And we went over the road to pitch our tents on a fallow field by a grove of trees.

Unfortunately last night's camper had left not just a patch of flattened grass, but also a neatly tied up bag of rubbish and a few piles of toilet paper on top of the unmentionable piles of 'toilet'. I guess some people are complete fuckwits.

We cleared away his mess, set up camp, had an early dinner and a nap in the afternoon sun. Glorious! It was a beautiful evening and too hot in the tents even at 9pm!

1 comment:

  1. Just catching up on a few days of your progress. Glad you have company for a while and get to try out stealth camping.
    By the way, I completely agree with your comments about the Austrian shopkeeper - it isn't often I regret something I have done (unless too much wine is involved) but I would hate to regret something I hadn't done.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete