Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Wednesday 25 June 2014

Winnipeg

This morning, Dave had to drive to Winnipeg for a survival instructor TV appearance and I wanted a ride to Winnipeg so we came into town. The filming was to be done in a provincial park on the outskirts of town and when we got there at 7am they were already set up.

There was a media van with a huge aerial, a camera and two camping chairs by a campfire. The crew said all they were missing was a tent, so I set up my tent and heard them filming the introduction with me in the background.

Then they needed to film an 8 second segment with no sound and asked me to lie in the tent then get out and stand by the campfire with the TV lady and Dave. So I did as I was told, only to find out afterwards that everything they filmed was streaming live onto the breakfast news, even the bit where I was setting up my tent in the background (hopefully not with my builder's bum hanging out!).

So Dave did a demo of how to make fire and gave some survival tips and that was that. Was I just on Canadian breakfast news?

Dave gave me a ride to a hostel in town and we said our goodbyes. It has been an amazing two weeks! I wanted to see wilderness and Dave showed it to me and made me feel safe out there, even when I was on my own. On my ride here, I'd heard that Manitoba was flat and boring but I have learned that is only half true (it is pretty damn flat). There's beauty everywhere if you go looking for it and you don't have to look very hard around the shore of a Manitoban lake.

2 comments:

  1. Don't know what to say, I'm still in shock reading your last few days experience! xxxx Nice to have you back though xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. All sounds amazing! Glad you enjoyed it, guess this means the thermarest is now redundant as long as there's a steady supply of spruce! X

    ReplyDelete