Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Wednesday 25 June 2014

Survival 3: Solo attempt

It was so hot on Monday morning we were sweating just sitting having breakfast! I thought I'd have a hell of a time working in the heat, but at least the sun keeps the bugs away a bit.

I packed up and we headed to shore where Dave dropped me off. I put out a signal (an emergency blanket on a tree like a flag by the shore) then found a nice pine tree to put my shelter around. I cut down a decent sized trembling aspen and a small spruce for poles then put up the tarp over them. It took around two hours for me to build the shelter and it turned out to be pretty nice. It was small to keep the heat in - just enough room for me and my rucksack - it was waterproof and it had a roll down door in case of a storm. My mattress of spruce branches was so comfy that I almost fell asleep testing it out. And from the bed, I had a view over the lake and the sky to look for planes and boats.

I had a twig bundle and birch bark ready as a fire starter and a big pile of firewood collected. The wind was starting to pick up and I was glad of the breeze but I could see dark clouds in the distance. 

I found a good tree to use as a smoke generator - a 6ft spruce near the shore. I made a pile of spruce branches and started collecting kindling when I heard thunder to the east. I put my kit inside my shelter and carried on. Then I heard thunder to the west. I should have got my rain gear out but I didn't. 

It started raining a bit and Dave paddled over. He was worried that we'd be separated if the wind picked up because he wouldn't be able to paddle across.

It started pouring. Bow got in my spruce bed.

Dave wanted to go back to the tent and I should go too, the wind was getting stronger. I packed everything up and we paddled across in the downpour. I was starting to shiver. 

We got dried and sat out the storm in the tent. I was curled up in my sleeping bag trying to warm up, despite having been way too hot at 8am that morning! 

So I didn't get to (I should say didn't have to) sleep in my shelter getting munched by mozzies. But I learned that I have the skills I need to make shelter, fire, signals and fresh water. I'll save having to endure the bugs for a real survival situation.

It was windy that afternoon so I'm glad Dave came to get me when he did - I'm sure I would have survived the night but being separated by the weather would have made me nervous. We fished in the bay in the wind instead and I caught a perch that Bow stole and a walleye that we fried up and ate. I collected a salad of rose flowers, bunch berry flowers, dandilion leaves, fireweed and plantain leaves and we topped it with pepperoni bits fried in bacon greese. One fish is no feast for two people but we went to bed happy anyway.

I didn't take any photos because it was hammering it down but trust me that my little shelter was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment