Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Sunday 29 June 2014

Hitch hike

The wind wasn't doing 40kmh today as predicted. It was doing 60kmh with gusts of 80kmh. I woke up at 6am because the wind was howling in the window and the rain was hammering against the back of the curtains. I already knew I wouldn't be riding my 100km today.

So I Skyped Dave for a few hours, packed my stuff and didn't go out into the storm until the checkout time of 11am.

It was howling! The rain was horizontal, the trees were flailing and I could hear a few car alarms going off in the distance.

I starting riding towards the highway. I was doing 10kmh at first - not bad! Until I got out of the shelter of the buildings and into the farmlands... then the wind really hit me.

It took me two hours to ride the 15km to the highway with my head down, checking my mirror and pointlessly sticking my thumb out every time a car came past. I've never hitch-hiked before but I found it depressing. Empty pickups rolled by, stony-faced drivers ignoring my plight. I felt angry at them, which I know is silly - they don't owe me anything. 

So I got to the highway and stood with my bike resting against me and my thumb out, occasionally being almost blown over by a gust of wind. I had decided to wait an hour but after 10 minutes I was cold and decided 15 minutes would have to do. Zoom, zoom, zoom. Then... a couple pointing and talking... deciding... and pulling over! 

"Where are you heading?"
"Regina"
"Okay, get in."
Woo!

Lauren and Elaine are an Indian couple from Saskatchewan and they told stories, taught me about traditions and told me I should try and go to a Pow Wow whilst I'm in Saskatchewan and Alberta. We drove past another cyclist on the way and he looked like he was having a hell of a time. I hope another kind person stopped for him! Lauren and Elaine took me the 350km to Regina, dropped me off right at a motel door and sent me away with a pair of handmade earrings. It was lovely!

Tomorrow, the forecast is bad again, but not as bad. I might be able to make the 75km to Moose Jaw. On Tuesday, things are looking up! I can't wait for some sunshine.

3 comments:

  1. It was a pleasure meeting you, and we both hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. We told our children about your journey across Canada, they were completely amazed. Take Care Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carys Richards30 June 2014 at 14:01

    Glad to hear you caught a break and got a ride to Regina, that definitely didn't sound like a fun day. Hopefully you'll have good weather when you get into Alberta because the mountains here are something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! And I hope I get some good weather before I reach Alberta - I can't take any more wind and rain storms!! But looking forward to the mountains :)

    ReplyDelete