Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Wednesday 25 June 2014

Survival 4: Coming back

On Tuesday we had to pack up to leave. I didn't want to go. I got out the tent and went for a last swim in the lake before packing up.

We loaded the canoe and paddled across the lake and back down the calm river. It was still beautiful. When you're on the water, all you can see is an expanse of sparkling blue, a strip of lush green and then that sky stretching out over the world. There's nothing like the sky out there. You can see weather patterns for miles! You can see the underneath of the clouds above you, the sides of the clouds further away and it seems like the clouds in the distance are disappearing around the curve of the earth. 

Once we got back onto Wallace Lake, we could see the cabins in the distance. Back to civilisation. I didn't want to go. I'd rather stay on the island, even if it meant being hungry for a while longer. We'd lived for 4 days on trail mix, pepperoni, porridge and a few fish but I didn't care, it was a small price to pay for wilderness.

I was quiet on the drive back. Then we picked up Dave's kids and went to a Chinese restaurant and I ate as much chicken and rice as in could fit into my tummy. Well, no sense going hungry when there's Chinese to be had.

No comments:

Post a Comment