Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Wednesday 11 June 2014

Day 38: Half way (ish)

We were late to bed by the time we'd washed, shopped, done laundry and eaten. I was totally worn out and looking forward to a good night's sleep. But a heavy rain storm kept me awake for part of the night and I woke to my alarm at 6.50am feeling less than enthusiastic about the day ahead.

Today's destination was to be Penny's house in Kenora, 140km away. When we set off, I was grumpy and the day's ride felt like a means to an end. I struggled to keep up with Bettina and all I could think about was how tired I was and how far we had to go.

After 40km we stopped for a snack - the food, the rest and the chat cheered me up. When we set off again, I was enjoying myself and drafted behind Bettina until lunch. Our lunch stop was plagued with midges! I ate my wraps whilst walking in circles and Simon sat with his buff over his face, refusing to eat anything in those conditions. He packed up and left, saying we could meet at the next picnic bench.

The next picnic bench had a lovely lake, awesomely ominous clouds and a lovely cool breeze to keep the bugs at bay! I lay down on a rock by the water for a nap.

We set off again with me at the front until I felt the strength leave my legs 18km from town and Simon took over. It was a long day but we made it!

Penny welcomed us with her two Irish wolf houds, a warm shower and dinner and a bug-free environment in which to enjoy them. 

I have ridden around 3,300km and am around half way through my trip. Hooray! Tomorrow, we ride to the Ontario / Manitoba border.

3 comments:

  1. Chapeau...Loving the blog. Thank-you for the vicarious road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo well done! Half way there and a week's survival training to look forward to. That should be restful :). Amazing effort so far and some incredible memories if the pictures are anything to go by. Hope the second half is even better XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete