Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Saturday 31 May 2014

Day 27: Lake Superior

I said my goodbyes to everyone at the campsite then dragged my tired body onto the road and headed north. One rest day can't undo 2000km of riding and I really felt the weight of my luggage today - I have been informed of the lack of useful shops for the next few days, so I'm carrying a lot of food.

Today is the first of many along the north shore of Lake Superior, the largest freshwater lake in the world. It's the size of Ireland! You can sail out into in until you can't see any land, then scoop a cupfull of lake water and drink it!

I'd been warned about 'the mile hill' that I was to come up against today. What I hadn't realised was that I would be going down it rather than up! So after gradually climbing to 300m over the course of 2 hours, I crested the hill and started to accelerate at an alarming rate. Wow, the views! I pulled on the brakes as I approached 50kmh then turned a corner and saw the rest of the hill. Eyes wide with excitement, I let the brakes go and did 60kmh, then 65kmh, tucked my head down, 70kmh!! A car overtook me slowly and a bloke gave me the devil horns hand gesture out the window. I gave him one back and laughed all the way down, adrenaline glands working overtime. Woooohooo!

The rest of the day was gently undulating with awesome views, a tailwind and very hot sunshine. I chatted to a tourer called Werner coming the other way and after lunch, I stopped at a pretty waterfall.

I'm camping at Pancake Bay tonight, 80km north of Sault Ste Marie. I'm a bit put out that I already paid $40 for a campsite that doesn't have wifi because I just got an offer of a lakeside garden pitch by someone who works at the cafe I came to for wifi. Ah well, you can't win them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment