Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Saturday 10 May 2014

Day 9: How headwinds are a pain in the arse

There was a thunder storm in the night. I woke to a flash of light, followed by a long, low rumble, shuddering its way along the valley. Then came the rain. And it was still raining when I wormed my aching body out of my tent in the morning.

The rain gave way to drizzle, then to mist, and it was damp and warm. My nemesis for the day was the wind. Oh, it was windy! I struggled my way to my breakfast stop and gobbled down a macdonalds breakfast for the first time since I was a kid. It was actually very good! Two muffins to go and I was back on the road.

My legs never stopped hurting today. The wind was slowing me down and making me work harder. And in working up a sweat, I could feel my saddle sores getting worse - rubbing salt into the wounds, as it were. The worst thing though was the incessant howling of the wind in my ears. I imagined it screaming at me Stop! Go the other way! The grasses and reeds were bowing down, dead leaves and debris hurtling past me, flags flapping angrily and sheets on washing lines billowing like vast sails. And always the howling in the ears.

Around lunchtime it brightened up and I saw beautiful coastlines packed with geese. There were geese in the sky too, flying in great lines or v-formations over my head. Looking out across the water, I could see ghosts of the blue mountains the other side of the strait, their faint outline blending with the blues of water and sky.

And so I battled on through pretty villages along the coast, waving and smiling to passing cyclists and pedestrians, until I got to a motel in Montmagny to nurse my aching muscles in a bath and disinfect my sores.

Tomorrow, to Quebec! I'm very much looking forward to a day off.

The picture of the baby cows is for you Mum, I know you'll love them! And the other picture is a sky full of geese - look closely!

No comments:

Post a Comment