Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Monday 5 May 2014

Day 4: 100k day

It was a long day today! Adam had warned me that I would be taking the 'windy mountain road' today and it lived up to its description. I'm bloody exhausted! 

This morning I googled accommodations and only found one place en route so called to book before setting off up the first of many hills. I started at sea level and wound my way up and down, up and up and down and up to 450m. Then back to 300, then back to 400... you get the idea.

I learned a few lessons today...

1. If you're going to stop for curry before cranking up a big hill, don't wear your buff for a bit because you'll be forced to re-breathe your own curry burps. 

2. If you haven't been able to get your cleats clipped in for several kilometres, stomping your feet on the pedals and screaming FUUUCKING BASTARDS! will not help the situation. 

3. Don't bother trying to power it up the last bit of the hill if you can't see around the corner.

4. Canadian truck drivers are extremely considerate, I love them! No scary moments yet.

After 75km, I was tiredly peddaling my way through the last settlement before the one I would stay in when I went past a huge sign that read Motel Vacancies. Good job I didn't see it, I might have cried.

As I found out at my last stop before I got to the motel, the reason I couldn't get my cleats in very easily today was that the cleats had come loose. I found this out because I couldn't un-clip my right shoe. It is now still attached to my bike and may remain there for some days to come, which is just dandy. I can live with 'one cold foot' lunches until the other screw works its way off too. No probs.

I made it to the motel by 5pm - not bad going! I walked into reception, hair matted, face salty with sweat, helmet still glued to my head, cycling gloves on, and the receptionist started asking for my details. Name, address, etc... then "and what's your licence plate?". I just stared at her for a moment but she waited for me to say "erm, I'm cycling" before putting a dash in the box. Maybe she meets a lot of helmeted weirdos...?

5 comments:

  1. Wow, the road looks a bit daunting when you see it like that. you'll sleep well tonight. Lots of love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheering you on and wishing you luck, we missed you in the Cemetery on Sunday. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should let us know where you are because following you on a map is fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a long road, absolutely love reading what you've been up to! You brighten my day every day and I am always thinking of you and willing you on xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Anna - you are an inspiration to us all. Your blog is great!!

    ReplyDelete