Overlooking Osoyoos

Overlooking Osoyoos
Overlooking Osoyoos

Thursday 8 May 2014

Day 7: Another shitty trail day

I did 60km today, about half of it on the trail. At one point, I trudged a full kilometre through the snow, tyres sinking, feet slipping, arms groaning. Even on the snow-free patches, I couldn't get much above 6mph, slowing to half that going uphill. Who makes a cycle trail out of fine, unpacked gravel?!
It was still beautiful, but the state I was in today, I could have been cycling past the grand canyon and not given a shit.

The trail was often so far from the highway that I couldn't hear the traffic any more, and I cycled through the tunnels of trees, not a soul in sight, trying not to wonder whether there were bears or coyotes around.

It was bizarre pushing through the snow whilst getting sun burned and sweaty. My hands, face, left ear and calves are redish brown but the rest of me white as ever!

The signs were mocking me today. "Riviere-du-Loup 4km", then 5km later "Riviere-du-Loup 2km". Sigh. It was a further 6km to the hotel. 

I think being in the French speaking part of Canada for the last few days has been adding to my bad moods. A lot of people don't speak any English, so I have to dredge up my terrible French and not understand the replies I get. It's quite isolating travelling alone, surrounded by people you can't talk to.

Still, after that bastard of a day, I am rewarded with a sweet hotel that has special cyclist rates and individual bike garages! I cleaned and oiled the bike before cleaning and de-oiling myself and having a bath. Ahhhh, my aching muscles are feeling better already. Now for a 3 course meal :)


No comments:

Post a Comment